Saturday, September 30, 2017

Hannah Buttah Lost at Mauoni

Aloha Mai Kakou,

Hannah Buttah at your computer with another question of the day.  

So I was talking with my ancestors one day while walking through Kahului.  We had a very special event coming up and needed plenty of fish.  I don't know as much about fish as I should - or at least the best place to get fish.  I'm usually on a budget and only buy what I can afford.  So before I finished talking to them, I asked where was the best place to get fish.

They told me to go to Mauoni to get fish for my event dinner.  I thought that was a perfect idea!!  So I finished my lunch, checked my wallet to see how much I could buy, then got ready to go to Mauoni, when I realized I didn't know where that was. I had to tell them I never heard of that store, even though I never like get them upset at my lack of knowledge.  They seem to think our generation is a bit spoiled and they always complain about our foreign lifestyles.

My ancestors laughed because I was so silly, and told me it was a fishpond.  They told me how the fish in Mauoni are the fattest around and can feed big families during kapu fishing seasons.  They said it was a naturally occurring spring and they once had about a half a mile of people to bring rocks to the area, to modify the fishpond in a way that helped the pond thrive.  They said it was a source of food that would last for eternity.  


So I asked my ancestors how to get there and they gave me a series of directions that were hard to follow, due to the change that comes with time, but led me to Maui Mall on Ka'ahumanu Avenue, by the Kahului Harbor.  

I couldn't find a fishpond there.  I searched all around, but only found the remnants of Kanaha Bird Sanctuary nearby.  I asked them again and got scoldings.  They seemed to think that the Mauoni Fishpond was one of a twin fishpond spanning 143 acres and what they described, should have been large enough to stretch from about the Hawaiian Canoe Hale, down to the harbor, past Kanaha & the airport, and upto about Haleakala Highway.  

Far out!!! But I had to tell them there was no fishpond there.  So I described what I saw and they began to cry.  The warrior ones even became angry.  They said the fishpond had always been there and had been a major source of food for all, for hundreds of years. It was impossible to miss.  They said it was the fishpond of the royals, that Mauoni & Kanaha had the best fish.  




I don't want to go back to them and get them upset.  Can you help me find Mauoni Fishpond?



No comments:

Post a Comment